Why take this course?This course is designed to prepare Service leavers to understand the financial aspects of any management role they may be applying for. It will assist when at interview where commercial language will be used and an understanding of financial management will be expected. It will also prepare anyone who will be managing a budget and provide the financial acumen in order to contribute to financial strategy and decision making discussions.
The first part of the course covers Finance for Non-Financial Managers which is used widely across industry in the UK and overseas to equip management with the commercial awareness that businesses demand.
Is this the right course for me?This course would benefit any Service leaver applying for a Senior / Executive role, however it would equally benefit Managers, Administrators, Project Managers, orTeam Leaders across a wider variety of industries.
For those considering Self Employment, CTP offer a 5 day 'Accounting in a Small Business' course.
Understand fully all the major financial statements
Fully comprehend how financial statements illustrate business performance
Recognise the key elements within a balance sheet and a profit and loss account
Appreciate the vital impact of liquidity, cash flow and working capital
Analyse financial information to assess business performance
Identify the key elements in budgeting/forecasting, their importance and their impact
Distinguish between the different cost systems
Demonstrate break even analysis
Apply financial skills to project management to assess viability and potential
- Understand the principles of strategic financial planning and decision making
QualificationsThere is no qualification associated with this course but it will provide Service leavers with the financial awareness and understanding to manage a budget and contribute to financial discussions and decision making in the workplace
EligibilityThis short programme is open to anyone at any level who needs or wishes to understand the language of financial management and how it is applied in a civilian organisation. The course is therefore of particular value to potential business managers and executives, administrators, project managers, team leaders, marketing and sales people; in fact anyone who is, or needs to be, business focused and financially aware.
- Types of organisation, legal entities and limited liability;
- The finance and regulatory framework for business and not for profit organisations;
- Business finance and capital – sources, valuations, Angels and Dragons;
- Finance personnel in an organisation;
- Finance systems and source documents;
- System controls and audit;
- Accounting fundamentals, standards, concepts and conventions;
- Cash versus accruals accounting.
Introduction to financial statements
- The key financial statements: Balance Sheet, Income Statement and Cash Flow Statement;
- Revenue recognition;
- Opex and Capex;
- Tangible assets and depreciation;
- Goodwill, other intangibles and amortisation.
Financial performance and control
- Using ratios to read and interpret financial statements;
- Profitability performance measures;
- Operational gearing, working capital and liquidity management;
- Cash flow;
- Supply chain management and inventory;
- Corporate governance.
Strategic financial planning
- The principles of financial planning and budgets;
- Constraints, budgetary slack and padding;
- Methods of budgeting.
The cost structure and strategic profit management
- Understanding cost: types, behaviours;
- Contribution, breakeven and profit planning;
- Margin analysis and profitable pricing strategy;
Strategic decision making
- Margin analysis;
- The time value of money and discounted cash flows;
- Decision making using the tools of Payback, Net Present Value and Return on Investment.
Career OpportunitiesThis 3 day course will enhance and complement other management experience and training for any Manager, Administrator or Team leader role, giving you the commercial financial language and knowledge to engage in financial discussions in an interview or future role.
Strategic Finance for Non-Financial Managers
Scheduled dates and locations
- Date Location Availability
29 Nov 2021
CTP Aldershot Training Centre
21 Feb 2022
21 Mar 2022
CTP - Online
11 May 2022
CTP Aldershot Training Centre
20 Jun 2022