Why take this course?As a senior executive in the military you may already have the experience to enable you to achieve success when applying for the role of Company Director in a commercial industry; however, there may be areas related to operating at board level that require you to have a deeper understanding of the roles and responsibilities of being a director and this course will help fill that knowledge gap.
This is module 2 of a four module course. You can take any or all of the 4 modules on offer to suit your needs. You are only required to attend all 4 if you intend to take the IoD Certificate exam and are advised to book all 4 at once. Individual modules are not examined.
Is this the right course for me?This course is suitable for those who have operated at a senior executive level with relevant experience of the associated responsibilities of strategic leadership. If you aspire to a board position in the public or private sector, this course will ensure you give yourself the greatest chance of success at interview and in the demanding role you seek.
QualificationsInstitute of Directors Level 7 Certificate in Company Direction
EligibilityYou must have operated at a senior strategic level with the accompanying responsibilities and be able to bring that experience to the course in order to be able to contribute and fully participate.
The Certificate course is split into four units of study delivered as separate modules (total of 10 days). In order to gain the Certificate in Company Direction all 4 modules and the exam must be taken.
Module 1: Role of the Director and Board (2 days)
- Gain an in-depth view of the key duties, roles and legal responsibilities of the modern director
- Understand the essential differences between direction, management and ownership
- Examine the board’s role in corporate governance and learn how to improve board effectiveness
- Understand the legal status of a company and other organisations and implications of the Company Act 2006
Module 2: Finance for Non-Financial Directors (3 days)
- Identify the financial role and responsibilities of directors
- Interpret financial statements in accordance with accounting principles and standards
- Establish the financial health of a business using accepted financial ratios
- Distinguish between management accounts and the statutory financial reports of a company
- Differentiate between the various sources of finance available to a company and their relative advantages and disadvantages
- Interpret the key components of capital investment appraisal
Module 3: The Director’s Role in Strategy and Marketing (3 days)
- Gain a clear understanding of the director’s role in the development of an effective strategy
- Examine how your board formulates, implements and monitors its business and marketing strategies
- Appreciate the strategic importance of a clear purpose as provided by vision, mission and values
- Conduct an effective situation appraisal and evaluate the relationship between the internal and external environments of the organisation
- Understand the means by which strategic options may be generated and evaluated to arrive at the strategy that will deliver the vision
Module 4: Leadership for Directors (2 days)
- Develop an understanding of how leadership can be defined and understood in relation to the director’s role on the board
- Apply techniques for developing a greater awareness of one-self and of the motivations and behaviours of others
- Create a culture which constructively engages others in the organisation to achieve the strategic objectives, and to respond effectively to crisis and change
- Identify how leaders create influence and impact within and beyond the organisation, and assess relevant stakeholder engagement strategies
Please note: The course is assessed by written examination. Exams are held at an approved test centre in London on set dates given by the IoD; exams do not take place during the course. A list of exam dates are provided within the course Joining Instructions, along with details to book and pay for these directly with the IoD
Career OpportunitiesThis course is aimed at those targeting senior executive or director roles in any industry.
Certificate in Company Direction Module 2
Scheduled dates and locations
- Date Location Availability
3 Apr 2019
Reserve spaces available
10 Jul 2019
Reserve spaces available