Why take this course?The APM Project Management Qualification is an internationally recognised qualification which provides the full knowledge on all aspects of managing a project, from developing a project plan, considering strategic and commercial aspects as well as technical aspects and people management. Budgeting, risk factors and reporting are also covered. The training is based around the APM Body of Knowledge v.6 and will give Managers and Project Managers a comprehensive understanding of all aspects of managing a project.
Is this the right course for me?
This is an intensive fast track course covering 37 areas within project management. Training will take place over 5 days, with attendees completing the PMQ exam after the training is completed.This is an excellent, comprehensive course for both Managers and Project Managers who have already gained some experience in the workplace or through other online or classroom training. For those with limited experience, our 10 day APM Project Management Qualification here will provide extended training to ensure you gain the subject knowledge and terminology to succeed in a future role.
QualificationsAPM Project Management Qualification (PMQ)
This course is only suitable for those with Project Management or General Management experience.For Service leavers who are new to Project Management, we recommend our 10 day extended APM Project Management Qualification (PMQ) course which will provide you with the knowledge and vocabulary to succeed at interview and in a future role.
The training will be delivered over 5 days Monday to Friday, with evening study required throughout. Attendees will then have an opportunity to organise the exam to suit their schedule after the course - you may wish to have a few extra days study time.. Due to the intensive nature of the course, the addition of extra time for study has shown to increase success rates for this course.
Attendees will be required to complete 15 hours of pre course study through online reading and materials which are sent out. This will be provided within 3 weeks of the course start date, once full payment has been made for the course.
Attendees will learn how to apply the tools and techniques given by APM to plan, control and implement a project in the workplace.
Course content includes the following:
- What is a Project? What is Project Management?
- Defining ‘Programme Management’ and ‘Portfolio Management’
- Understand the benefits of managing groups of projects within an organisation
- The important factors of a project’s context and the effects of these context factors on a project
- Understand stakeholder management
- Project success criteria and success factors
- Learn suitable performance indicators to apply to project success factors
- The Project Management Plan, its purpose, content, authorship, readership and ownership
- The Project risk management process
- Identifying and evaluating risks and the risk management plan
- The role of quantitative analysis
- Common quality techniques
- Differences between quality planning, quality control, and quality assurance
- Health and Safety and Environment standards applicable to PM
- Main break down structures and their fundamental relationships
- Demonstrate the use of different techniques for scheduling projects
- Time schedules and resource allocation schedule
- Resource histograms and ‘S’ curves
- Cost management - methods & reasons
- Change control
- Identifying possible change control problems
- Understand how an earned value system works
- Communication methods
- How to structure a project cost estimate
- The different estimation methods
- Estimating the effort needed to execute a project
- Configuration management
- Defining the terms configuration control, configuration identification, configuration status accounting, configuration auditing
- Understanding the business case
- Internal Rate of Return (IRR)
- Net Present Value (NPV)
- Payback periods
- Purchasing and contracting methods
- Outlining the principles of managing suppliers and contractors
Organisation and Governance
- Project life-cycles
- Handover and closeout
- Project reviews
- Organisational roles
- Project life-cycle and the reasons for managing projects in them
- The hand-over and close-out process
- Post project review and its place in the project life-cycle
- Recognising the different types of project organisation and their merits
- The factors to be considered when setting up the project organisation and its administration and defining the different roles required in the management of projects
- Communicating methods
- Identifying the needs of teams
- The different types of teams and social roles needed in teams
- How to build and motivate a team
- Leadership qualities
- Conflict management
- Negotiation techniques
The course exam will take place following the 5 day course.You will be able to take the APM PMQ exam from home if you have a webcam. You will need to provide ID and an invigilator will monitor you throughout the exam. The exam is 3 hours, and attendees are required to complete 10 out of 16 questions..
The Trainer will deliver this course using a webinar platform, Webex, to the same classroom sized group. You will be able to fully interact with the Trainer and the group, participate in group discussions and breakout rooms, view videos and boards, and have a very similar experience to that of classroom training.In order to attend the training online, you will need access to a laptop or PC ideally at home, which has no firewall restrictions. Your laptop or desktop should have a microphone and speakers so that you can continue to interact with the Instructor, as you would within the classroom environment.
Training will take place via Webex and further online details and system requirements are available here which will enable you to check that your IT meets the minimum requirements to use webex. We would be grateful if you could read the details regarding virtual training https://www.qa.com/faqs/virtual-classroom/ and also open up the test webex https://www.webex.com/test-meeting.html to ensure you can see the online platform test screen.
The APM PMQ is an internationally recognised qualification providing a comprehensive understanding of project management.
This qualification would greatly benefit those seeking a Project Manager, Bid Consultant, Programme Manager, Contract Manager or Business Analyst role.
However the qualification is equally beneficial to Managers in roles such as Operations, Risk, Change, IT Manager and various Consultancy and Business Improvement roles.
5 day APM Project Management (PMQ)
Scheduled dates and locations
- Date Location Availability
4 Jul 2022
5 Sep 2022
CTP - Online
10 Oct 2022
28 Nov 2022
16 Jan 2023
CTP - Online
20 Mar 2023
5 Jun 2023
7 Aug 2023
CTP - Online