Top of the page

Frequently asked questions

Show FAQs relating to:
Can I attend briefing events at any time during my military service?
You can attend briefings at any time during your military service, however, where places are limited priority is given to Service Leavers with 9 months or less to discharge.
Can my partner attend the briefing event?
Yes, they are welcome to attend. It is recommended you contact the host centre in advance to ensure there is sufficient space for additional attendees and that any security access issues can be addressed.
Does attending a brief come out of my Graduated Resettlement Time (GRT) or do I have to take annual leave?
No, attendance at Housing and Finance briefing events is not deducted from your GRT. You must complete the relevant Non-Attendance process on the Joint Personnel Administration (JPA) system.
How long can I remain in service accommodation after I leave the military?
Please refer to the Joint Service Housing Advice Office (JSHAO) documentation for guidance on all timescales and regulations relating to vacating service properties.
Can I use Graduated Resettlement Time (GRT) to organise property viewings, meetings with solicitors etc?
Individual Resettlement Preparation (IRP) is defined as part of your GRT. It can be used to undertake approved resettlement preparation activities including organising housing for when you leave the military. Check your entitlement with your own Service Resettlement Adviser (SRA) and complete the relevant workflow on the Joint Personnel Administration system.
How do I find out about the housing options available to me when I leave the services?
Career Transition Partnership (CTP) centres host regular Housing Briefs which are given by the Joint Services Housing Advice Office. These one day briefs will provide guidance on the options available to you, and where you can gain further advice and information. They are open to all ranks, and can be booked through your local CTP Resettlement Office.
How do I find a reliable removal firm?
Web research is highly recommended as are personal recommendations, to help you identify a provider to meet your individual removal needs.
Am I responsible for buildings insurance when renting a property?
Check the terms of your lease/rental agreement for all information regarding insurances.
I have always thought about living abroad, how can I do this?
You must research fully a number of aspects including location, employment opportunities, education, taxation, healthcare, pensions etc. You can also attend Emigration Information events which are hosted by both the Career Transition Partnership (CTP) and national relocation organisations at UK venues on a regular basis.
How do I arrange for my military pension to be paid if I live abroad?
You should contact the Forces Pension Society and also refer to the government website Directgov where a wide range of additional information about living and working abroad and claiming benefits and entitlements can be found. The Veterans Agency can help with queries on War Pensions.
How do I check my property’s liability for Council Tax?
Please refer to the Directgov website for guidance on assessing your property banding and requesting a re-assessment.
How does the house purchase system differ throughout the UK?
Scotland has its own legal system and the house buying process varies to that in other parts of the UK. You are advised to speak to a local Estate Agent or Solicitor in the area you wish to purchase a property and get clarification on the legal process which applies.
Can I keep a pet in a rented property?
Check the terms of your lease/rental agreement for details regarding family pets.
Do I have to pay a deposit when I rent a property?
Most private landlords require a month’s rent in advance as a bond payment. Check terms of your rental agreement fully before signing or making any payments.